Mitigate CVE-2021-40444 with XEOX
CVE-2021-40444 is a zero-day remote code execution vulnerability in MSHTML, a set of logical flaws that can be leveraged by remote, unauthenticated attackers to execute code on the target system.
Thankfully there are a few work arounds to mitigate this vunerability, one of the easiest is using XEOX.
In order for the XEOX variant to work, you first of all need a XEOX account. After you login to your account you have to do the following steps:
- Go to Agent or Install Agent on the menu bar and install it. If you need help with the installation please read the instructions in Agent or read agent installation.
- Under Job Center, select Jobs. In the gray menu bar you should select create.
- When you create a job, you must first to give the job a name and select the devices the job should be run on, you can find more information regarding that on our help site
- Afterwards, in order to mitigate the weakness, you need to create a file in the job creator. The name doesn’t matter but it should be a .reg file and you must enter the following code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
- The next step is to use execute from the toolbox and enter the following:
/s is needed to execute a .rag file and CVE-2021-40444 should be replaced by the name of the before created file.
- Now you just have to save the job and then you successfully and easily mitigated the CVE-2021-40444 vunerability.